Tuesday, May 05, 2015

12 sub4 in 12 months

12 sub4 in 12 months


Just about 10 months ago, I wouldn't have set this goal, so it was not a pre-set goal, it just happened along the way that I set a goal around it.

I was back to running a full marathon under 4 hours in end 2013 after almost a year injury + relearning. Nailed another one in HK 2014 and came my 2 yrs anniversary into full marathon, I celebrated the same race I did my virgin with a sub4, I kind of wanted to keep it under 4hrs for as many races as I could since then.



BIM, back to my virgin FM race
Hatyai marathon, the route so boring that you wish you can fly
Phuket Marathon, start getting the trend back


I was then selected to be one of the 4 hrs pacer for SCKLM, thus I joined both the Hatyai and the Phuket marathon to begin with my training to run sub4 under any possible weather condition and try out my hydration plans. An idea started to surface after these 2 races: why not a 12x12 sub4? While this may sound easy, that also meant I need to be proactively looking for a race to run and on top of that, I still have my other wish races to join.



RJM, the best feasting race with durian!!!
Suffered cramp during SCKLM due to itchy leg on the night before (raced PNM 10K)
Another suffered race with failed 3:30 attempt, lol!



This goal went quiet as there was no event in the coming months, my next FM came only 3 months after at River Jungle Marathon, then SCKLM as 4hrs pacer and Osaka marathon. Both SCKLM and Osaka marathon went bad with cramps at final 5K, which ring an alarm about something may have gone wrong in my hydration plan.


Got the plan adjusted and I ended 2014 with another 2 sub4 in Penang bridge as 4hrs pacer and Singapore marathon with a PB for that race.

Had some fun during PBIM but forced to chase timing towards the end to meet the 4 hrs.
A very surprised 3:46 finishing during SCSM, the race is a guarantee for heat suffering

There came the challenge, there was no more local/ near by FM until March and I didn't get the ballot for London marathon. In other words, I need 4 FM in the month of March and April. Jan is out coz I had Vibram100 and Feb was CNY month with only Half marathon events (I missed the registration for Yangon and Taipei marathon).



MWM, another pacer role


Most relaxed sub4 marathon

Then Malaysian Woman Marathon and Bintulu Marathon came into the picture with Malaysia International Marathon dropped from the list. I explored possibility to do Seoul and even the every weekend marathon country: Taiwan. 3R marathon came in rescue and Shakespeare marathon became possible by then.


Even though I actually did a sub4 for fm distance during the Watergate 16hrs event, I won't want to qualify it as one for the count.

the Watergate 16Hours, did 50K and went home


While running sub4 become easier, staying injury free remain biggest challenge at all time. I cannot allow that to happen and I certainly cannot risk all out in the races. Patience is tested at every race even though I knew I could do better, I have to focus on faster recovery and lesser intensity that risk injury.


And I thought with Shakespeare marathon being the last one to complete this goal, I could somewhat attempt a Sub3:35 PB and may be a sub3:25. Based on my experience during Osaka marathon, it is possible.



the moment of a goal come true after 12 months


Things just didn't work out the way as wished. But having to run in a country with no competitive advantage, taught me how environment can make a better runner. Bitch all I can about how some of these runners heel strike and poor running posture,  sub5min/km pace is very common and easy to them.


So with Shakespeare marked my 14th consecutive marathon with sub4 finishing timing since end 2013, I guess next would be to keep the consecutive record running for as long as I can and may be start to attempt negative splits.



"26.2 miles never get easier, we only get stronger"



Compilation of the route and record for the 12 sub4 in 12 months

No comments: