Sunday, March 26, 2017

Tokyo Marathon 2017 - Another PB ?

Because the race gave me a PB finishing so I guess I have to write about it.

Before anyone proceed to read about this report, there is nothing in this post that talks in detail about the course and its experience, it is just my story running it.

Great race reports are made of dramatic stories, a typical one will start with lack of training or preparation, coupled with some injuries to make you look more vulnerable and near impossible to score a great timing. Some will then declare an easier target (despite deep beneath the heart there  a more exciting goal), or announce to take it easy to ENJOY the race or take it as training.

Bullshit, there is no reason one doesn't set great target for a world major marathon. But I am going to tell mine anyway, for the sake of making mine more dramatic and near impossible, :)

If you know me, low mileage training, lack of speed training due to right heel injury and just returning from falling sick were real, but they are not the reasons I used for setting easy target. By default some are setting 3:30 as my target (simply bcoz I do not have official race that breaks that mark!!!), so no one would accept a sub4 finishing as target (hey my last sub4 was more than 6 months ago...).

The truth is, I somehow knew I could do 3:30 and 3:30 is too main stream these days, so I set 2:30 as my target, and as expected no one believes that too, I have much to prove myself I guess,:)
Dare to Dream.and Dream is FREE

So the more realistic target (which I made up my mind just 2 days before departure to Tokyo) is 3:20-3:30, the logic is based a complex combination of peer bench-marking, previous races effort vs finishings, recent race performance and of course, some guess work.

Told you this is nothing about the race, look how long u have read and still not at starting line...

Fast forward to race week, after done with non-stop work travels, training and meetings, I finally got on my 5th flight of the month and landed on Friday morning. Did a quick visit to my company Tokyo office before check in hotel and head to expo for race kit collection.

A little details on race expo, probably no one would have any complain about it, very well organized, in and out for my bib and souvenir shirt collection in less than 5 mins. Process flow included:

1. Photo ID check to make sure you are the person  who registered for the race and collect in person. Based on experience in Osaka marathon, collecting on behalf may be possible but I was doing for someone who can't make it to the race so the officials allow collection of race kit without the race bib.
2. Proceed to bib collection based on your bib number printed on the sheet posted to you via mail, a security band will be put on your wrist, never to be taken off until race is over. The wrist band warrant your entry to race site security gates.

3. Proceed to timing chip checking and baggage drop official bag collection.
4. And finally the even-T collection, then head for the expo. Plenty of different event T designs (40-50 design may be) available for shopping by Asics in the expo booth.

Friendship Run:
Held on the day before race for gathering of runners to celebrate as one and get to know each others' culture or traditional costume (best way to introduce your country) and testing the race gears may be. Most importantly, have fun and more photo opportunities! Need to register earlier and pay some fees.


Race day (finally, right?):
This year is relatively warmer compared to 2013 when I 1st ran on the old route, 6-13c was bearable with 2 layers (inner long sleeve 2XU thermal compression and outer favourite any shirt). I made last min decision not to wear the light jacket bought at expo and the gloves, instead only hold the instant disposable heat pack bought from convenient store, still keeping my buff on to keep warm air flowing under for my breathing.

The race flag off on time, I was at Pen C (which was after Elite, A and B), there was no stopping to wait, everyone just continue to jog/run till we cross the starting line 2 mins later. As usual the starting 3KM was a bit of runners congestion, but I did not have to do much hard overtaking as everyone were running at the pace relatively representing the starting Pen they belong to (my guess, sub 3:45, I was in Pen G in 2013).

The 1st 5KM aim was to warm the body and freezing toes, didn't take too long for me to feel the body warm up that I felt the need to roll up the inner layer till chest area and also the extra arm sleeve layer I put on. The air is still considered cold and dry, thus buff remain on.

10KM in, realised I was doing just on time for a 3:25 finishing, decided to forget about 3:20 (it was not so realistic to begin with anyway lol!) and review if 3:25 was still possible at mid point.

Forced down a pack of power gel and 2 capsules of anti-fatigue at 13KM to prepare for the coming 30KM. The distance on GPS was already 1KM extra by the time I hit 15KM, thanks to the tall building that mess up the tracking. 15s behind to be on schedule for 3:25, after U-turn at Asakusa I did the fastest 5KM split of the race and catch up the time to be on track for 3:25 finishing again, maintain the momentum till 25KM mark to continue to be on track on timing.
bigger turn is better turn for photos
Like most marathons, the race only begin at the final 12KM, took my 3rd pack of gel at 30KM (2nd pack at 22KM) and another dose of anti-fatigue,  spent sometime to walk at water station to get more isotonic in. The only comment I have about the race would be on the drinking cups, they were too big which make drinking very difficult, I had a few occasions of spill over. Hitting 30KM at slightly behind schedule again, I knew I probably won't make it to the 3:25 finishing, did a quick calculation, allowing myself to slow down the pace a little as I started to feel tired, after all, I have not been running this fast for this long, the quads started to feel sore as I approached the big left turning.
can't remember why I did that...

What followed next is a 5KM straight route until the next U-turn, this is a very "scenic" route as I get to see those fast runners on the opposite side heading finishing line. They were either finishing strong or bonk, and believe me, for runners that go all out at their pace, when they bonk, they really bonk, it is not like the amateur case like us where we could still jog to recover and gain momentum, they walked and nothing more. From the facial expression I can tell they suffered and disappointed at the same time. And for those still dashing, their facial expression not an easy look too.

Why did I spend so much time talking about those running sub3 on the opposite lane instead of my own 31-35KM journey? Because it is a good way of distraction, to divert my attention from the building up of soreness on my legs. Breathing was OK, no sign of dehydration, too early to judge if I was suffering or just psychologically thinking I was suffering due to the distance. I took a one minute walk and stretch anyway at next water station just to make myself feel better since I knew I have the luxury to do that and still finish sub3:30.

By 35KM U-turn, I started to feel the heaviness on my feet, the return trip towards the finishing line felt like an uphill run. The real psychological barrier kick in because during both my Japan races in 2013 (Tokyo) and 2014 (Osaka) I suffered at 38th KM. So the plan was to hold the pace easy and steady until I crossed 38KM, possibly 39KM too. From a distance I can see the 3:30 pacers at about 100 meters away, obviously there was a temptation to chase them and even overtaking them, but that would mean I will have to run sub5min pace again and risk having cramp in the 1-2KM.
Taking bigger turn gets more chance for photos
I gave up that thought by purposely visiting the water station to let the pacer group move out of my sight so that I get to focus on taking it easy again. I tried to spot familiar faces on the opposite site with no particular person in mind just to draw my attention away from the heavy legs. KM by KM passed as I crossed 38th KM, hanged on for another KM and another KM, by the time the distance marker reads 40, I know it was home coming! A quick peep on the watch I knew 3:29 will be the rough finishing timing and I could probably sprint a little as the finishing arch came in sight.

However, the final KM was not easy as I thought, it was not tar road but solid pavement, a bit uneven. The cheering crowd was great, it was less than a kilometre to the finishing, some started to sprint, some suffering cramp, I patiently wait for the left turn to appear.

And here it came, the left turn and my final sprint to the end to cross the sub 3:30hrs mark.
Final 300 meters I guess
Finished and DONE
After crossing the runners were handed with bottle of water and towel, another hundred metres of walking there was another station to hand over food and thermal blanket, finally the medal. It was all the way walking towards the 41st KM mark where Hibiya Park is.

The journey ended here for any runner to pick up their drop bag but for me it was another bonus 1.5 KM in front of the Imperial garden towards opposite direction to get to the Abbott hospitality suite for my drop bag, somehow I missed the underground pass that cut the distance by half or so, the volunteers can't help on this as they didn't know about the hospitality suite. This explains the extra wrist band I have...

Below are the splits for data cruncher:
Was pretty on track for 3:25 until 30KM
Could I have done better ? 
May be yes May be not, I just come back to run FM, my legs and breathing are not trained for fast FM yet, may be another 6 months or year end only I should attempt a faster FM.

No comments: