Thursday, July 14, 2011

Standard Chart KL Marathon




I am supposed to write this post 2 weeks ago but I was too busy with....... (you don't want to know, those are excuses..:P).

This is my 4th half marathon of the year, in fact I only started my half marathon attempt this year. 2 more half marathon to go for this year to hit my target of 6, registered for Newton 30K in Singapore, yet to register for PBIM this year coz that is a LP weekend, which means I will have to look for another half marathon.....

Back to SCKLM, the biggest event for 2011 so far, experience from previous 3 HM tells me that I need to start slow and steady to prevent muscle soreness after KM17/18, so I took my time to warm up for the 1st 3 KM. Starting from 4th KM, the pain from the previous run ( NB15K and Hoohathlon) hit me again, light but i can feel it coming, the pain was there for a while and gone until I saw Milx at 7th KM, haha, looks like this time I will be ahead of him and get the front pose for picture later.

Overtook Milx at 7th KM and I made a big mistake by trying to be competitive with a pretty girl will nice hair, i think she and her partner were going at 5.30/km, which I am able to keep up and overtook them. There came the problem when my right knee pain came back and hit me at 10th KM, this is no good, I had to slow down to 7:00/km and luckily there was 1st aid station at 11th KM and I managed to get the spray to ease the pain. Nice half way point with banana given, :D

The spray effect only lasted 2KM when the pain came back to hit me again, I had to slow down again and at around 14/15th KM there was another station for spray, lucky me.

Running into Bukit Bintang area and toward Jalan Ampang was nice, it reminded me about the Nike Run last year, :D after 18th KM, I started to feel OK with my legs and I knew it is home coming already as I was running along Jalan Sultan Ismail, speed up a little even though I can feel muscle soreness and numbness started to kick in.

It feels great when the half marathoners finally join the big crowd of 10KMers heading back to Dataran Merdeka, but I had to move left and right to overtake the crowd. As I approached the finishing line, suddenly the tiredness is gone and I still have some energy to dash through the finishing line.

I didn't managed to hit my target of 2:06 hours, but I think if the actual distance is really longer than 21KM as tracked by my Garmin, I actually hit exactly 6:00/km.

After that managed to bump into old friends who did 5/10KM, nice bunch friends who refused to upgrade to 21KM, hopefully Shirley Goh will upgrade by year end, LOL!

Next run is NTV7 feel good run, after that I think I need to rest my legs after that to prepare for Men's Health Shape Run on end of July.

No comments: