Monday, September 30, 2013

Product Review - Compressport R2 Calf guard, Pro racing low cut socks, Pro Racing Tri Top and Trail Running Short





I received my 1st 2 sponsored products (Calf guard R2 and Low cut socks) from Compressport in early June 2013, supposed to wear them during the SCKLM 2013 which was postponed to end Sept, end up they were put into good use and tested in a more challenging and tougher race - TMBT 2013.

Having tested both the socks and the calf guard in training, I was convinced that it will certainly help during my long hours trail running during TMBT. I had also tested the Tri top during the SCKLM expo, which put it as my choice for the TMBT as well, I later made a decision to get the trail running short to complete my gears for the race. Let's view some photos before review the products:

1st official race test during RJM 2013: Tri Top and Calf Guard + Socks
Pls forgive the camwhore
at final 5km of a FM, the calf still fine

2nd long distance test at Back to Basic 30K, right after Men's Health Shape run the night before - to test out the calf guard in helping tired legs.
Doing fine, in fact uphill can still push.
Continue to use it even after the run

1st two long distance tests of the products (calf guard particularly), proven that the compression offered is consistent and right on the calf zone, unlike some calf guard in the market, tight at the top and bottom, the calf zone quite loose relatively. It was able to withhold muscles vibration and act as shock absorber. Muscles fatigue hardly come into the picture during the 2 long sessions (3-5 hours). I did not have calf soreness for both events, it makes me wonder what the Ultra Silicon model can do (not available for testing at that time).

I helped a friend to order the trail running short and after feeling it material, I was convinced that I want to get it for myself to run the TMBT. Refer to photos below on how they looked:
U can another black calf guard R2 on the 1st left.
Top + Short + R2, I decided to keep the socks for 2nd 50km.

Compressport in action
after 11 hours of hiking +  running + walking (in the rain half the time)

In the 2nd half of my TMBT 100K, due to the race condition that was at night and it will be cold, I have to wear long sleeves and long pant, in this case, I only have another brand to wear. To maintain dry, I got wear another pair of R2 calf guard and the Pro racing low cut socks (yes, I wish I can afford another set of the top and bottom too).

 After another 15 hours on the Hike, Run and Walk
 The suffering were on the knees and toes but never the calf
From the back
 Close up look
This is how I put the R2 over the long pant

Then the official event came (where I have to wear both the R2 and socks) which I was more than delighted to wear both the sponsored after tested their reliability in tough races.






This is at 37th km
 Final 1km
Last 100m



Continue to wear even after race, to enhance recovery via accelerated venous return

What can I say about the products that I have tested so far ?

Pro Racing Tri-Top: I could have gotten the trail top but I prefer my shirt without the zip on the chest area, the material is soft, the compression is sufficient without causing congestion on chest area, highly breathable, I tested it to sleep as well. Post race fatigue on torso and waist was almost minimal.It has 2 pockets at the back at V shape alignment to put gel (my guess) but I didn't try them out.

Pro Racing Trail Running Short: The very 1st thing I noticed about this product is the high waist with silicon grip that hold the pant on my abs and back not on the waist. It has a nice back pocket which I yet to try out. It is very comfortable to wear it and the compression on the quads is firm enough to reduce vibration on down hill landing. 

Calf Guard R2 (Race & Recovery): No question asked, no doubt it does its job for both racing and recovery, having 2 pairs is just nice for use for R2, but I am tempted and interested to try out the UR2 and US model to see how the newer innovation can further eliminate calf fatigue and injury in long distance races.

Pro Racing Socks: The socks are firm and less stretchable like others, which is why it does its job in compression and grip firm in the shoes. Yet to try out the long full socks to if it fares against the R2 and also the trail socks for harsh condition.

In my recent 4 long distance events (total >220km) in September alone, I have come to realise the importance of the right compression attire and not just any compression wear, a Quad or thigh guard is something I will be looking at in the near future, particularly from Compressport. Getting ready for next year ultra trail races and ultra road running, I am sure these essential gears are important not only on reducing risk for injury, improving race timing but also promote post training/race recovery.

I thank Choi CC for bringing this product to me and Compressport for the kind sponsorship as well as its great products.

More info on Compressport products range, please visit: http://www.compressport.com

Photo credits to Kelvin Tan, Tey ET, Sunny Chong, Barkley Wong, Renee Tan, Chan WK, AShe EK, Freddie Anthony, Nasier Lee, Sajirin, Ee Kok Jin, Leong Ann Lok, Leslie Ho, Khong Mun Hing, Jeff Wong and all those not named. :)

Disclaimer: The above review is based on personal experience, though with sponsorship of one pair of R2 and one pair of low cut pro racing socks by Compressport and its request to review the 2 products, I made my own decision to further gotten myself the Tri Top, Trail Short and the extra pair of R2. Please note that not all individual will experience the same effects from the products as I did.

No comments: